Monday, April 5, 2010

Frick Fine Arts Building


There were many buildings I visited whilst at Pitt, but the FFA was home base. The building was serene, near the park, and close to the center where I lived each year. The major negative of the library was that, as an undergrad, you were not allowed to browse the stacks. Research was difficult because you could only request a book from a docent, but you couldn't take the books home for reading, etc. Somehow, I still did well on my papers. Studio arts were in the basement, lectures on the second floor, a gallery for student work and a large lecture hall are the other major places I could be found in the mid-Ninties. The architecture of the building says Palladian, and it is correct only due to the green surrounding, not the lack of enticement to visit it or the quality of the light. I did love my time at Pitt, but for an architecture/studio arts building, a higher quality home would have been much more inspirational.
Tomorrow, the Cathedral of Learing.


3 comments:

  1. I have to say I don't think I was ever in the Frick Fine Arts building during my 4 years at Pitt. Having been a science major, I usually could be found in Langley or Clapp Hall. Those building aren't known for their inspiring architectural design though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, what I love about Pitt and Pittsburgh is the diverse architecture that has kept the city vibrant, not just building every 50 years, but great buildings every 5 years or so. Unfortunately, FFA isn't one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love Pitt and Pittsburgh (not the professional sports teams though :)), enjoy going back to visit, although we haven't been there in a couple years. Must make a trip soon.

    ReplyDelete