Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Focus on Residential Architecture















On my daily drive to work, I see at least two dozen farmhouses that are great examples of Southeastern Pennsylvania architecture. These simple residences have greatly influenced my design parameters in the last two years. Picking up the detailing, proportioning, and scale of these farmhouses is pushing me to work on more vernacular designs for clients. Modern, contemporary, and the like, these architectural styles will not be adopted in this region of the country. The way in which we live has changed, even in a traditional market. The message that I want to bring is how we unify modern living with a traditional form. Can this be done in a less "McMansion" way? Yes, keeping the formality of the exterior, but stretching the interior layouts to have boundaries, but not formalized spaces. These pictures show some of the examples that I intend to replicate in a current living and building style.

No comments:

Post a Comment